background

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

DIY Clutch: A Tutorial

With my pregnancy getting on in months, there are a few projects I've been wanting to finish up. Some have taken precedence over others. I wanted to make a small clutch to fit in a specific pocket in my diaper bag, to hold some important purse-like items for when I don't want to carry a purse and a diaper bag. It's a very simple thing to make, and I decided I'd share my method with you.
(Okay it's not really my method, my mom is actually the one who came up with the order of things.)


What you'll need:
18 1/2" x 10 1/2" piece of outer fabric, lining fabric, and stiff interfacing.
velcro

The piece will measure 10 1/2" by 7" with a 4 1/2" flap.

Adhere the interfacing to the wrong side of the outer fabric piece.


Put right sides of the outer and lining fabric together.


Measure down on the long side 4 1/2 inches for the flap.


Sew around the end and down the measured length, as shown by the pins.


Fold up remaining lining to where you stopped sewing, creating the inner pocket of the clutch.


Sew sides of lining pocket.


Now fold up the outer fabric, right sides together, and sew sides together.


Turn outer fabric inside out, creating the outer pocket of the clutch.


Turn the upper flap inside out (this is a picture of the back of the clutch, flap open).


Now turn the lining pocket inside out and tuck inside the outer pocket.


Turn in the remaining edges of the lining and outer fabric together.


You can either sew it on the machine or by hand, whatever you prefer.


Ta da!


Now for the velcro. Choose however you want it to be. I just wanted one piece, but you might want two on each side of the bag.


Sew the velcro to the bag.


Give it one last pressing and you're done! So simple and easy!


Perfect little clutch.


No comments:

Post a Comment