I started out by sanding the glossy finish, roughing it up enough so the paint would stick. Then I applied a primer. Honestly I should have done a couple of coats of primer, but mistakes help us learn.
Then I applied my color coat, the orange. It's actually the same color and paint that I used on our walls in the house. Just a note, orange doesn't cover well, and might do better with a gray primer.
While this looks fantastic on it's own, I wanted the color toned down a little. So I added a copper wash over the orange color. I just brushed it on, feathering it when necessary.
It gave me this awesome, almost metallic orange color. I painted the face plates and hinges copper, which turned out to give the perfect amount of contrast to the orange/copper of the cabinet. Then I added the crystal knobs that I had salvaged from my great-grandmother's old house.