background

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Essentially Oiled Shelf

YES! Finally! It's taken me waaaayy longer to finish this project than it should have, but here it is, completed!

Do you have a bunch of essential oils shoved in a drawer, making it difficult to find that one you need right that second? Well, we did, and now, we've got a functional, yet eye pleasing, way of storing our natural remedies.


I got this shelf at a local resale shop for about $2.


It's basically a trinket shelf, which you can find at pretty much any resale shop. They always seem to have at least one, if not many.

I decided I wanted to give it a crackle finish. I started out by priming it with the color I wanted to show through. I chose black.


Then, I slathered plain elmer's glue on in sections, then painted my color right on top while it was still wet. I did pretty much immediately after I put the glue on, but you can wait a little bit till it's just tacky if you want.

I wanted to put something across the front to keep anything from sliding off while shuffling things around. So with the help of my mom, this is what we came up with. 

I took some silver upholstery tack that I had on hand and hammered them in place on the side.


Then I wrapped some wire around the tacks, brought it around front and wrapped the other end on the other side. Then I put some tacks on each inner slat, hammered them down, making sure the wire was underneath.



Ta da! Finished! I ended up replacing the bracket on the back because the original wasn't strong enough, but once that was taken care of, it was complete!


As you can see, I still have some holes in my oil collection.





2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this idea. Now the oils are right at your fingertips and convenient. I think I'll try this but, put doors on mine since they recommend them to be kept out of the sunlight or lights.
    Thanks for the great share!
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Love it, and so practical!

    ReplyDelete