background

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Distressed Red Dresser Changing Table

I'm back!!

The morning sickness seems to have passed and I'm looking forward to getting back into the game!


This is a dresser that I worked on quite a while ago, but only recently put the final touches on it. I got it at a thrift shop for - oh yeah - $5! It did have termite damage, but it's solid wood and it's the perfect height for a changing table. I was needing one for my son's room upstairs. So I decided to fix it up and make it awesome!



It was pretty rough.


Nick filled in the termite damage so the top is now smooth.


I started out by putting on a gray primer coat. You want to use gray for a primer when you're planning on painting something red.
 



Ta-da! The finished product!
(Apparently I didn't take pictures when I did the rest of the painting.)


I gave it two coats of red paint before doing the black wash. I watered down black paint and brushed it on. Almost immediately I wiped it off with a rag. You almost have to do a feathery sponge-like motion to keep it from making lines.


Add some beautiful knobs, a changing pad, and a nifty wipe holder and you've got the best changing table/dresser ever!


I found the little wood caddy at a resale shop for $2. I had Nick remove the handle, then I gave it the same finish as the dresser. He screwed it on, and bam! Perfect wipe holder.


Close up of the finish.




Before and After.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment