background

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Dry Your Own Tomatoes

I've had a wonderfully prolific tomato crop this year, I've been busily making hot sauce and canning tomatoes. But I had a good amount of these small roma tomatoes, and decided I wanted to try drying them. I used a food dehydrator this time, but maybe next time I'll try sun drying.

Anyway, I found this awesome website that gives detailed instructions for every method of drying tomatoes.
http://www.tomatodirt.com/drying-tomatoes.html

To prepare your tomatoes, first you need to core them. This is a step I wish I would have done first instead of after I skinned them. The process was a lot longer because I didn't do it first.

Next you need to skin them. Bring a large pot to a rolling boil.


Score and "X" on the bottom of each tomato. 


Drop 4-5 tomatoes into the boiling water for 30 seconds to a minute.


Remove with a slotted spoon.


Immediately drop them into ice water. The peel will come off easy now.




Cut the tomatoes in half and place cut side up on the screens from your dehydrator.
(I put mine on wax paper because I didn't want the juice to drip, but I ended up taking them off of it because it wasn't drying fast enough. Next time I'll just skip the wax paper.)


Let tomatoes dry for about 8-12 hours, until tomatoes are dry and not tacky. Check them periodically to make sure you don't already have some finished tomatoes.


I stored mine in a jar but you can also store them in freezer bags or vacuum bags.


No comments:

Post a Comment