background

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Berry Good Sauce

I love to make a fresh fruit sauce to go along with pancakes or waffles in the morning. This is a simple and delicious recipe that works for almost any fruit (any fruit you would make a sauce out of) and makes it thick and tasty. It's a recipe from a piece of paper my mom had with several blueberry recipes on it.

 
I cleaned out my fridge a couple of weeks ago, and accidentally bumped the temperature control for my fruit drawer. I had over 2 pounds of strawberries in there that got frozen solid. So instead of throwing them out or trying to eat mushy berries, I made a batch of sauce. Came out beautifully.


Fresh Fruit Sauce

1/3 c. white sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp water
2 c. fresh fruit, chopped



In a medium saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt until well combined.


Add lemon juice and water and mix thoroughly.


Add fruit and stir gently. Cook on high for about 2 minutes or until sauce has thickened and liquid becomes clear. Remove from heat.


Best. Sauce. Ever.

If you want to can it, process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment