background

Friday, February 21, 2014

Scrap Fabric To Hairpiece: Pant Cuff Clip

Little girl bows and hair clips are so much fun! There are so many ways you can make them; the possibilities are endless! I love dressing my daughter up with a bow, and I can't help but want every type I see! Lately I've been eyeing these more sophisticated type bows/hair clips that lay flat against their head. They had been in the back of my mind, secretly tapping at my brain for a diy project spotlight, and the opportunity arrived whilst working on another project.
 
I was working away hemming several pairs of pants, minding my own business, when I realized that I had all these little cut off pieces of fabric in so many neat colors.
 
 
What oh what could I make with them?
 
 
Answer: hair clips.
 
Sweet! Reusing and making neat stuff!
 
Here's what you need to make some of these cute little clips:
 
Cuff cut off from a pant leg approx. 1 1/2 inches tall
(size can vary depending on the size you want but this is based on the ones I made.)
coordinating thread
sewing needle
felt for backing
clip of choice, I chose the alligator clip
button for the center
hot glue or E6000
 
Alright, as I said, you start with a piece cut off from a pant leg
 
 
What was handy about this is that it already had a finished hem on one edge.
 
 
Take your sewing needle and do a large running stitch all along the rough edge (the edge you want gathered).
 
 
Once you sew all the way around, pull the thread to gather up the fabric. Tie it off securely.
(In this picture I had tried to do this running stitch on the machine and found that it is much easier to hand sew it).
 
 
Here's what you got so far.
You might need to press it to help it lay flat.
 
 
And that's it. Bow made. Now all you have to do is finish it off.
 
 
Select and sew on your button. This will cover up your goofy looking center.
Cut a circle out of the felt big enough to cover the back side of the goofy looking center. I traced my button to get the right size.
 
 
This will also give you a smooth surface to glue your clip to.
 
 
Using either hot glue or E6000, glue the felt to the backside of the bow.
 
 
Glue your clip to the felt.
 
 
Finished!
I love all the different buttons you can use to dress these up!
 
 
So cute!!
 
 
My precious girl! She's looking so good in her new clips!
 
Now, for the headbands. I wanted a slimmer, sleeker band to go along with these chic little clips, so I decided to make them out of big people bands.
 
 
Just bought a package of women's hair bands. I used Sabrina's head as a measurement and pinned the size.
 
 
I looped it over itself and hand sewed it together. This way I can let it out later and it can be used at its original size in the future. Also, the loop makes a nice place for the clips to be attached and keeps them from sliding all over the band.
 
 
Darling, precious, and sooo sweet!
 
 

1 comment: