background

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Berry Picking Excursion

Every year since I was 2 1/2, I've gone blueberry picking. My mom hauled my brothers and me to the fields, and we picked (and ate) to our hearts delight.

The tradition has not waned now that I have my own family. While Ryder is still too young to go, I trekked out with my mom and my friend to Blueberry Ridge Farm. They have organic blueberry bushes, and, as we soon discovered, "free range" bushes. Let's just say they don't do much to care for the bushes. There were oak trees growing up through the middle of some of the bushes, and some bushes were so tall, you couldn't reach anything, or they just didn't produce. Honestly they could use to do some weeding and pruning, but I guess that's how they afford to let you pick for $10 a gallon!


It was perfect picking weather, cloudy with a bit of showers.


I ended up picking 4 gallons, and my mom picked 3 gallons for my brother. I brought them all home and laid them out to dry (because yes, it rained on us).
















Now that's a lot of berries!


1 comment: