background

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Orange Sweet Potato Pie

Sweet Potato Pie?

Um, no thank you.

ORANGE Sweet Potato Pie?

YES PLEASE!

It may sound like a weird combination, but this orange-y tasty goodness has now become a reason for me to buy sweet potatoes in bulk. Thanks to Nick's Grandma, I have obtained a delicious recipe.

I was given a sweet potato grown by my husband's grandfather, and decided this was the best use for it. This thing was huge!!


Dude, seriously, that is a big sweet potato!


This is a recipe for the filling only. It doesn't include the bottom crust or crumb topping.


Orange Sweet Potato Pie

1 recipe bottom and top crust
3 eggs
2lbs sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
5oz milk or yogurt
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. butter, melted
4 tsp grated orange peel
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


In a large bowl, whisk all ingredients together until smooth.
(note: I used the yogurt in this recipe because I was out of milk. The original recipe actually called for evaporated milk, but I think mine came out just fine.)


Pour into prepared crust. Bake for 30 minutes.


Add top crust. Bake 15-20 minutes more.


Oh. Yeah.




No comments:

Post a Comment