background

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Run A Mocc! Sabrina's New Moccasins

I love moccasins.
 
I bought some, lost them, then bought some more. I made some for Sabrina when she was a baby out of faux suede. I've been dying to get her some here recently, because they go with everything!
 
That's how much I love moccasins.
 
So, determined that I could find some leather for a good price, I began searching the internet for moccasin patterns for kids. I finally found a tutorial that I liked and followed (mostly): http://www.sewinginnomansland.com/2013/05/22/little-leather-moccasin-tutorial-and-free-pattern/
The main things I did differently is that instead of elastic I made mine to tie at the top, and I added a foam sole to give her foot more protection from rocks, etc.
 
Best part: I got the leather for free.
 
 
 
Nick's grandma had some in her closet from when his grandpa shot a deer years ago. There were just some small scraps, perfect for little kid shoes. Score!!
 
So, it wasn't as simple as find the stuff, make it. I had to re-size the pattern to be bigger for Sabrina. Took some doing, but I miraculously got it right the first time. I made a mock mocc to make sure it would fit and set to work! They have turned out so much better than I could have imagined!
 
 
I had to make them two-toned because there wasn't enough of the lighter color to make the whole thing. I love it though, it's very unique.
 
 
This is what I used to make the inner sole. It's just craft foam, but it makes all the difference when walking around outside.
 
 
A close up of them on her feet.
 
 
Soooo cute!
 
 
My little trendy girl.
She really does love dressing up and looking cute. Good thing since she's just so cute and she's got a momma that can't help but dress her up!
 
 


1 comment: