background

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Nacho Average Pickle: Pickled Jalapeno Slices

Yea for produce! This fall I actually had a crop of jalapeno peppers that pulled through this terribly dry summer. But, just a week or so ago, the freezes began. Now, I have a bunch of jalapeno peppers that need to be made into something! So what do I do? Pickle them! I have an amazing pickling recipe from Grandma Hix that I am going to charitably share with you. I didn't think to photo everything until I was finished, so forgive me for the lack of visual aid. But it's pretty simple so I think you can handle it.


Pickles
(of any kind really)


cucumbers (or whatever you want to pickle)
dill
garlic
1 quart white vinegar
2 quarts water
1/2 c. pickling or canning salt

Put one dill head and 2 cloves of garlic in the bottom of each sterilized jar. Pack your produce tightly in the jars. Put another dill head at the top, leave enough room at the neck.
Bring vinegar, water and salt to a boil; pour over pickles.
Optional: boil in water bath for 5 minutes.
Wait 2 weeks before eating.
*If you have brine left over, save in a glass jar and store in the refrigerator for future use.


I've used this recipe for cucumbers and had great results, they get even better with time. This is my first time to try it with jalapenos. It's definitely the old fashioned way of doing it. Grandma said that they used this recipe with huge barrels of pickles. Yum! I love jalapenos on my nachos so I can't wait to try these out!

Print this recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment