background

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Putting Bread on the Table

My mom gave me this recipe for whole wheat bread. It's really tasty, and not too dry for whole wheat. I imagine you can use white flour, but I've never tried it. My husband, Nick, loves coming home to the smell of fresh made bread and tearing apart a whole loaf!

Bread
(3 loaves)

3 3/4 c. warm water (test on wrist- if you can't feel it, it's perfect) in a large bowl.
Sprinkle 2 Tbsp dry yeast
1/4 c. honey
Let stand 10 minutes.


Add 3 c. flour and 2 teaspoons salt - Mix with electric mixer.



Add 2 c. flour and 1/4 c. softened butter or oil.


Add 3-4 c. flour until it's flexible and not too sticky. The more you mix the better. You might want to use your hands at this point.


Cover with a towel and let rise one hour till it doubles.


Ryder watched me get the dough going.


~
Knead. Let rise another hour.






~
Knead again - put in three greased loaf pans. Cover with a towel.







Let rise 30-45 minutes.




Put in cold oven and turn it to 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350 degrees for 30 minutes.





Cool for a little bit then remove from loaf pans to cool completely.


Enjoy. Nick sure does.




I usually slice and freeze my extra loaves. It all depends on how much Nick eats when he gets home from work. I love having home made bread, it makes the best toast and sandwiches. Goes great with soup too. There's nothing that makes you feel more like a housewife than making your own bread!

Print this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment