background

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Grandma Margaret's Rolls

My great grandmother Margaret was a great cook. I never got to meet her myself, but I heard many fond memories from my parents. She had a roll recipe that she shared with many family members; my mom being one of them.

 
I grew up with this recipe, and now it's the one I make for my family. We always called them grandma rolls, but I thought since I was sharing it with the world, I would give it a proper name.

Grandma Margaret's Rolls

2 Tbsp yeast
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. milk
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
2 3/4 c. flour


Sprinkle yeast over sugar and milk. Let stand about 10 minutes.


Add eggs.


Add salt and 1 3/4 cup flour. Beat mixture with electric mixer until smooth.


Add 2 cups remaining flour.


Add butter, but make sure it is cool; never add hot to dough. Mix until thoroughly blended; you may have to use your hands.


Let rise for a few hours or until doubled in size.

 


The original recipe calls to divide the dough into three parts, but I always just do two. Roll out the dough into a big circle.


Quarter slice the dough until you have 16 slices.


Roll each slice from the outside edge in to make a crescent type roll.



Arrange on greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise until about double in size.


You can now do the same thing with the other half, or you can make them into sweet rolls! To do this, roll out your dough in a long rectangle.


Spread butter all over dough. Sprinkle a nice layer of brown sugar over the butter, then sprinkle cinnamon over the sugar. The amount of butter/sugar/cinnamon is all up to you and how much of everything you'd like on it.


Roll the dough up.


Slice roll width slices.


Place on greased cookie sheet and allow to rise until about double in size.


Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.


You have the option to make a batch of frosting to ice the sweet rolls.

This is a really simple recipe and quite a crowd pleaser. It makes plenty so be sure you're ready to chow down on them!

Print this recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment